A Presbyterian church was started in Tawas in 1869 but dissolved in 1933. The church returned to the area in 1986 after an absence of 53 years. Dr. William Bos, a retired Presbyterian minister, moved to East Tawas and started a summer worship program. Arrangements were made to rent the Odd Fellows Lodge (now the Tawas Bay Playhouse) in East Tawas as a place to conduct worship. Services began May 4, 1986 with 18 people.
Our Early Growth
Dr. Bos was succeeded by Rev. Janice Pestrue (Chambers). Through her leadership, the church grew to over 80 members, and was chartered by the Presbyterian Church USA on October 27, 1991.
Building Our Space
Property for a building project was purchased in 1991 and construction on a new $490,000 sanctuary began early in 1993. Members voted to build an octagon shaped facility that would seat approximately 300 and have space for fellowship and Christian education. The first worship service was held in the new sanctuary on Sunday, December 19, 1993. The church property extends in an ‘L' shape from US-23 to Aulerich Road. The addition of a new Foyer, Parlor, Pavilion, Memorial Garden and Columbarium was completed in 2007.
When Rev. Pestrue was called to another congregation in 1999, the Rev. G. Richard (Rick) Vogeley was called by the congregation to be the second full-time installed pastor on September 24, 2000. On August 15, 2015, Pastor Kathleen Rowe was installed as our third full-time pastor.
A New Future
Since 1986 the Tawas Area Presbyterian Church has grown in spirit and body. Today 125 active and dedicated members are involved in the life of this church, serving a large area on Lake Huron’s ‘Sunrise Side’.