Our Organization

Through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, we trust in the one triune God, the Holy One of Israel, whom alone we worship and serve.

God comes to us in free and undeserved favor in the person of Jesus Christ who lived, died, and rose for us that we might belong to God and serve Christ in the world. Following Jesus, Presbyterians are engaged in the world and in seeking thoughtful solutions to the challenges of our time.

Presbyterians affirm that God comes to us with grace and love in the person of Jesus Christ, who lived, died, and rose for us so that we might have eternal and abundant life in him. As Christ’s disciples, called to ministry in his name, we seek to continue his mission of teaching the truth, feeding the hungry, healing the broken, and welcoming strangers. God sends the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, giving us the energy, intelligence, imagination, and love to be Christ’s faithful disciples in the world.

More than two million people call the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) their spiritual home. Worshiping in 10,000 Presbyterian congregations throughout the United States, they engage the communities in which they live and serve with God’s love.

To commit to God's guidance and passionately share God's love with people of all ages.

A Presbyterian church was started in Tawas in 1869 but dissolved in 1933. The church returned to the area in 1986 after an absence of 53 years. Dr. William Bos, a retired Presbyterian minister, moved to East Tawas and started a summer worship program. Arrangements were made to rent the Odd Fellows Lodge (now the Tawas Bay Playhouse) in East Tawas as a place to conduct worship. Services began May 4, 1986 with 18 people.

Our Early Growth

Dr. Bos was succeeded by Rev. Janice Pestrue (Chambers). Through her leadership, the church grew to over 80 members, and was chartered by the Presbyterian Church USA on October 27, 1991.

Building Our Space

Property for a building project was purchased in 1991 and construction on a new $490,000 sanctuary began early in 1993. Members voted to build an octagon shaped facility that would seat approximately 300 and have space for fellowship and Christian education. The first worship service was held in the new sanctuary on Sunday, December 19, 1993. The church property extends in an ‘L' shape from US-23 to Aulerich Road. The addition of a new Foyer, Parlor, Pavilion, Memorial Garden and Columbarium was completed in 2007.

New Changes

When Rev. Pestrue was called to another congregation in 1999, the Rev. G. Richard (Rick) Vogeley was called by the congregation to be the second full-time installed pastor on September 24, 2000. On August 15, 2015, Pastor Kathleen Rowe was installed as our third full-time pastor.

A New Future

Since 1986 the Tawas Area Presbyterian Church has grown in spirit and body. Today 125 active and dedicated members are involved in the life of this church, serving a large area on Lake Huron’s ‘Sunrise Side’.

 
 

Join Us

Tawas Area Presbyterian Church is located at:
2095 E US Highway 23
East Tawas, Michigan. 48730

Contact us at (989)362-2371

/*
*/
/* */